How to Update Panasonic Lumix GH5 Firmware
April 19, 2018 Tutorials
We made a short tutorial on how to update the Panasonic GH5
Some time ago Panasonic released a firmware update for the GH5; version 2.1. If you have the Panasonic GH5 camera and you haven’t updated the camera yet, I suggest you to immediately update the camera. The update brings you bunch of improved features, plus new file save formats. I see no reason for you to NOT update the GH5. So hell yeah, we made a tutorial where Johannes Myllymäki from Olohuonetuotanto (Living Room Productions) shows you how to step by step update Panasonic GH5 firmware. It is not hard, but if you haven’t ever done it, it might be confusing first. So, watch the tutorial and you can do it too, in under five minutes!
Well, how to install it?
- First go to the Panasonic website and download the firmware file >
- It’s good to have a memory card reader for transfering the update file to the camera memory card.
- Transfer the firmware file to the root folder (memory card).
- After you have got the file into the root folder, turn on the camera
- Install it by pressing “play media” button (camera’s media play button).
- By pressing the play button, camera now asks you if you want to update to the newer firmware, then press “yes” and it will start updating.
- Thats it! You now have newer firmware version.
Thanks for watching! I really appreciate that. You can subscribe to our Youtube channel from here >
Whats included in the update?
(below text is copied from the Panasonic website)
1. Compatibility with “LUMIX Tether” PC software
This new firmware enables GH5 tethered shooting via USB, using “LUMIX Tether” PC software. Users can control the camera by connecting it to a PC via USB. It lets you view the image on a large PC screen while shooting, which is helpful in commercial photoshoots of portraits, products and so on, where continuous confirmation is required. You can use [6K PHOTO] [4K PHOTO] and start and stop video recording with the tethered shooting. It is also possible to choose the folder to save the image files in the PC.
2.Improved auto focus performance
- Auto focus performance for subjects with low contrast in photo shooting is improved.
- Tracking auto focus performance in video recording is improved.
- The customized AF area can be continuously displayed in [Multi AF] and [Custom Multi AF] during live-view.
- The AF area in [Multi AF] can be moved to the other edge (side, top or bottom) when it reaches one edge.
- The start point of AF lock can be set on the live view screen in advance in [AF Tracking].
- The AF area can be moved while the shutter button is half-pressed or while recording in [Burst Mode], [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO].
3. Improved performance in [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO]
- The waiting time to start the next burst shooting sequence after [6K Burst] and [4K Burst] is shortened to less than half the time.
- [Loop Rec] is available in [6K PHOTO]
- Use of Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90 is recommended for [Loop Rec] of [6K PHOTO].
4. An additional ALL-Intra Video Recording mode
- 4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra video recording mode is added to 4K/FHD video recording
- Use of SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 60 or higher is recommended for 4K ALL-Intra video recording
- Operation is confirmed with Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90
5. 4K HDR video recording
- [HLG] (Hybrid Log Gamma) is added to [Photo Style]. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a mode to reproduce both bright part and dark part in an image, making it look just as human eyes see. The camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100, and you can now choose Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in [Photo Style].
- A low-bit-rate recording mode 4K HEVC for HLG was added. This enables playback on AV equipment compatible with the HEVC compression format, such as Panasonic 4K HDR TVs.
6. Enhancement of the Anamorphic video recording mode
- High-Resolution Anamorphic mode, which enables video recording in 18-mega effective pixels, is added. *Recorded in HEVC[Anamorphic Desqueeze Display] was added, which lets you view an enlarged image in Cinescope size while recording with 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
- [Video Guide Line] is added to display the image in a variety of aspects, such as Cinescope, 16:9 and 1:1 while recording video. This can be used not only in Anamorphic mode but also in other video recording mode.
7. Enhancement of Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer)
- [I.S. Lock(video)] is added. This powerfully compensates for handshake when the viewing angle is fixed.
- A new handshake correction mode is added, which provides optimum correction when using 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
8. Correction of white balance setting
- When the K (Kelvin) value was changed after adjusting the color temperature with 2-axis white balance compensation, the setting was reset. This bug has been fixed.
9. Improved usability of Time Lapse Shot
- The time to finish shooting and the number of recordable pictures are displayed on the stand-by screen.
10. Improved usability of Power Save LVF
- Power Save LVF can now be used during all stand-by display options.
11. Wireless functions
- The Bluetooth Remote Control function can be used with Image App, which will also be updated at the same timing with the GH5 firmware release.
- If the camera has not completed image transmission when it is turned off, it restarts transmission when it is turned on with the [Auto Transfer] function.
12. Other improvements
- A rating function using an Fn button is available in Playback Zoom and Multi Playback.
- The following functions can be assigned to Fn buttons – [Constant Preview] [6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving] [Min. Shtr Speed] [RAW Processing] [Rec/Playback Switch] [Destination Slot] and [Mic Level Adj.].
- The DISP.Button can be locked.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was not able to be reset. This bug has been fixed.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was reset after formatting the SD Memory Card. This bug has been fixed.
- In Backup Rec, there were cases where the file number was not reset even after applying resetting. This bug has been fixed.
- The image quality when applying the following settings is improved: Extended low ISO, [i.Dynamic] (Intelligent D-range Control) and Highlight Shadow.
Share this article:
GEAR THAT WE LOVE, USE AND RECOMMEND
Here is a list of tools I use daily in my work and which I can recommend. Below are links directly to the pages where you can buy the product. You can see the PRICE RANGE for different products in the Hintaopas (en. Price guide).
RECORD PC MONITOR:
Download OBS Studio for free »
POST PRODUCTION SOFTWARE:
Adobe Creative Cloud »
Here are just a few of the products I recommend, so read more about my purchase & tool recommendations here » (it’s in Finnish)
Like OLOHUONETUOTANTO (Living room Productions):
Thanks for reading!
Share and love if this article had, for example some positive impact on your life. Until next time! Peace!